Petrified Shrimp
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer
Thanks Out: 289 times
Thanks In: 471 times

Theoben Rapid Lh Block - Take 2.

Post by Petrified Shrimp »

Hi all,

Following on from the Evolution of a MFR and then the subsequent Theoben Rapid LH Block I was lucky enough to come across yet another genuine Theoben Left Hand block. I had it in my mind for something different, however tempting building another MFR was. I was then offered a genuine Impact Air GSX 100 cylinder along with the block.....hmm....I thought that could have some potential. Deal done.

Its becoming quite normal now when bare blocks arrive to talk to Dr Bob and Kev G who sorted me out with the internals and new reg (the fact I found another reg in the shed 4 days after is neither here nor there :facepalm: ....I like shiny new things). Building a block out from scratch is certainly not a cheap way to go and gives an understanding of why even average blocks can fetch 400 to 500 on certain sites.

So once the block was built up it was time to think about the other bits and pieces.

For the barrel I had 2 (or 3 or 4) options. First up was the EV2 barrel machined for a rapid block which I acquired off @32:1 a while ago, and its been sitting around just waiting for an opportunity.

The second option was to machine up an old BSA barrel, which was part of a batch discovered by our own intrepid explorer @32:1 on one of his excursions into weird RFD's. This could also be a perfect time to test it out.

The third option, and the most recent was to acquire an original smooth twist barrel off Ben Taylor - this is currently being machined up as we speak :D

The EV2 barrel fitted and the BSA barrel above......

So mostly sorted, thoughts turned to the stock. I was going to give it a run out in a spare MFR stock I have...but it didn't fit.....so that plan was scuppered. A few wanted adds for a GSX100 stock didn't yield any fruit, so I went to customs stocks and ordered a CS700 - rosecap, stippling and with trepidation I went for a select stock. I also chose not to have the hole in the bottom of the stock which is usually there on the standard GSX100 for the quickfill. As the cylinder has the MFR reg it can come off easily enough and hopefully with 60 odd shots its enough for what I need it to do...plus its different. I may regret it with days on the range, but there you go.

The stock turned up and I tried it with the action...I like the stock but I can't help but wonder if a normal stock would have been equally as nice...

The intention was to give it the first run out last Saturday, however I made another purchase last Sunday and that kind of stole the show and took all my time up.

It currently has a Bushnell Elite 3200 on top & the EV2 barrel fitted, and I must say it suits it perfectly. The only think left to do (apart from shoot it) is to give the stock some oil. A quick rub down to get rid of whats there and then a few costs of....I haven't decided yet....maybe one of Alkanet and then some M&M love from @mikeyhall1 as I haven't tried it yet

A big shout out to Chris (32:1) for his knowledge (and taking the pee), Kev G & Dr Bob for the internals & reg and finally Chris at impact for the initial purchase and a bonus of an original GSX100 trigger guard.

I do not need another left handed block....well, thats what I tell myself...but I do have a few spares left over......hmmmm I wonder if a third will come along!

Thanks
Tim B
Drake267
Flying Officer
Flying Officer
Thanks Out: 264 times
Thanks In: 585 times

Re: Theoben Rapid Lh Block - Take 2.

Post by Drake267 »

Does look nice mate, really nice, but I still say it needs a nice shroud 😁 I didn’t realise it didn’t have the quick fill, I know you told me but it didn’t sink in. Those cylinders normally have a quick fill fitted on the front of them. At least my gsx 600 and .20 cal gsx100 did. Why did I let that pair go!
Steyr challenge 177, optisan cp 3-12x32
Rapid mK2 .177, element helix sfp mrad
Bsa Ultra se .22, optisan hx 4-12x40
Quint
VIP
VIP
Thanks Out: 1078 times
Thanks In: 1769 times

Post by Quint »

Petrified Shrimp wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:31 am Hi all, ....

Thanks
Tim B
Post a few pics of the smoothtwist when you get it back please - I have a few of them sat here in a box. :thumbup:

Strangely enough just got offered an Impact Block Rapid and it has an original ambidextrous Theoben stock on it :o :o :o
Super PEEK, Super PEEK, it's Super PEEKY - Rick James

Petrified Shrimp
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer

Quint wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 3:28 pm Post a few pics of the smoothtwist when you get it back please - I have a few of them sat here in a box. :thumbup: Strangely enough just got offered an Impact Block Rapid and it has an original ambidextrous Theoben stock on it :o :o :o
Someone has been mixing and matching then :mrgreen:

I did Impact were advertising a 7/10 block the other day - so Chris is obviously going through the drawers and finding things :mrgreen:
Quint
VIP
VIP

Post by Quint »

Petrified Shrimp wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 2:59 pm
I did Impact were advertising a 7/10 block the other day
??

Petrified Shrimp
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer

Quint wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:01 am??
Sorry for the cryptic code, that should rtead - I did see Impact advertising a block the other day and the condition is 7/10.
Quint
VIP
VIP

Post by Quint »

Petrified Shrimp wrote: Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:31 am
The third option, and the most recent was to acquire an original smooth twist barrel off Ben Taylor - this is currently being machined up as we speak :D
Here's a couple of pics of the Ben Taylor Smoothtwist I just machined up. Just slip a bit if 18mm Carbon over it and we are all good :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

st_001.jpg
st_001.jpg (76.16 KiB) Viewed 280 times
st_002.jpg
st_002.jpg (102.26 KiB) Viewed 280 times
st_003.jpg
st_003.jpg (42.73 KiB) Viewed 280 times
st_004.jpg
st_004.jpg (62.2 KiB) Viewed 280 times
st_005.jpg
st_005.jpg (57.61 KiB) Viewed 280 times

Quint
VIP
VIP

Post by Quint »

Grouping is looking good. Johhny is taking 5 machined up barrels to the club tomorrow to properly test. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Petrified Shrimp
Pilot Officer
Pilot Officer

I'm waiting for mine to be machined, but to be honest I have so much stuff to test that its going to be a while before I can test it anyway....

Look forward to the results :D I still have 3 x .22 ones in the dhed, just in case :mrgreen:
Quint
VIP
VIP

Post by Quint »

Petrified Shrimp wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 1:31 pm I'm waiting for mine to be machined, but to be honest I have so much stuff to test that its going to be a while before I can test it anyway....

Look forward to the results :D I still have 3 x .22 ones in the dhed, just in case :mrgreen:
Tested 5 of them, perfect at 30 yards, 5p sized groups :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: